Sunday, December 31, 2017

Finian's Paradise: New Years Eve



Yo ho. I took my motorcycle up to Cypress mountain today and snowshoed up Hollyburn Ridge. Now that's what I'm talking about. It was a fine day so it was. New Years Eve.



I usually like to get up early New Years Day and snowshoe up in the dark with my headlamp so I can catch the sunrise from the mountain top. Weather permitting. The weather was better today so I went up the day before. Lots of things happening on all the local mountains over New Years.



Inversion was once again in effect. It's very Zen so it is. It's been pretty dark and dreary in the city lately with all this freezing rain and slush. The good news is that all that rain means fresh snow on the mountain. If you don't head up you'll never see it.



I always used to say that leaving all the rain in the city to ride up above the snow line brings you to a winter wonderland. Coming back down to the rain in the city after spending the day in the snow is like waking up from a pleasant dream.



The view from the top is breathtaking. The back country is filled with snow capped mountains as far as the eye can see. The Lions are a traditional landmark in Vancouver.



My father used to always like to take pictures of the Lions from Cleveland Dam at the foot of Grouse Mountain. I like to take pictures of them face to face from Sky Chair. During ski season I have to settle for Hollyburn Ridge.



They say the only peace you find in the mountains is that which you bring with you. Perhaps but I find hiking in the mountains helps clear the mind. It lifts the blinders and lets you see the big picture so it does. Keeping that perspective in life is important. It's always good to look at the big picture so it is. Think outside the box. Which ties in with our New Years message. Wait for it. The clock hasn't struck midnight on the west coast yet. For me, New Years doesn't start until sunrise.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures. I especially liked the third one! would make a great poster.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.